When I’m feeling stuck about something, want to move forward but something holds me back, I use these 5 steps to get my thoughts in order and get energized about what has to be done. I call it VW PAR. I’ve used this process for years, for myself and my clients, but gave it a name only last year. I’m passing it on so that you can benefit from it, too.
1) Visualize: Picture what you want to have happen, the result, not the problem. Picture yourself blasting past the challenge to a fantastic finish. See yourself finishing successfully, being the real you. What does that finish look like, feel like, sound like, taste like, smell like? Picture it in detail.
2) Write what you pictured. Start your sentences with “I am…” to put it in present tense, or “I have…” as if you already accomplished it. If you have a hard time starting, particularly if you don’t like to write, then write whatever comes to mind to get the junk out of your head. Once the surface stuff is out, you will be surprised at what comes to mind. Thoughts you would not have had otherwise will bubble up.
3) Prioritize: Write the actions you will take, then number them. Often it’s not what you write first that has to be done first.
4) Act: Do what you prioritized.
5) Reflect: Think about what you accomplished. What went well, what you will do again or differently next time. Visualize yourself doing an outstanding job with it. Then start VWPAR for your next goal!
VWPAR has worked for my clients and for me for years. For big and little things. I hope it helps you, too.